Being aware of your health and maintaining a positive, healthy lifestyle is important. If you don’t maintain a healthy lifestyle, there can be many risks of potential disease and even fatality.
Consequences of Obesity
People who are obese, compared to those with a normal or healthy weight, are at increased risk for many serious diseases and health conditions, including the following:
- All are causes of death
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides (dyslipidemia)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Coronary heart disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Osteoarthritis – a breakdown of cartilage and bone within a joint
- Sleep apnea and breathing problems
- Some cancers – endometrial, breast, colon, kidney, gallbladder and liver
- Low quality of life
- Mental illness such as clinical depression, anxiety and other mental disorders
- Body pain and difficulty with physical functioning
» Read More about the consequences of obesity.
Importance of Physical Activity
Regular physical activity is important for good health, and it’s especially important if you’re trying to lose weight or to maintain a healthy weight.
When losing weight, more physical activity increases the number of calories your body uses for energy or burns off. The burning of calories through physical activity, combined with reducing the number of calories you eat, creates a calorie deficit that results in weight loss. Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake. However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity. Most importantly, physical activity reduces risks of cardiovascular disease and diabetes beyond that produced by weight reduction alone.
Physical activity also helps to maintain weight, reduce high blood pressure, reduce risk for Type 2 diabetes, heart attack, stroke and several forms of cancer, reduce Arthritis pain and associated disability, reduce risk for osteoporosis and falls and reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.
» Read More about the importance of physical activity for a healthy weight.