Singing River Health System supports the latest state-of-the-art surgery procedures using the da Vinci® Surgical System at both hospital locations in Pascagoula and Ocean Springs.
Robotically assisted surgery represents the very latest in surgical technology and advancement. While it is a relatively new development, over 1.5 million surgical procedures have been performed using the technology with great success.
Benefits of Robotic Surgery
- More complex procedures can be performed laparoscopically
- Reduced scarring, smaller incisions
- Shorter average hospitalization times
- Reduced risk of wound complications
- Reduced post-operative pain
- Greater control of the medical devices than in traditional laparoscopic surgery
- The surgeon has a better, 3D visualization of the surgical field
- The dexterity and range of motion of the robotic arm is greater than that of traditional laparoscopic devices
Possible Risks and Considerations
- Not all patients will qualify including those who are morbidly obese
- The procedure is sometimes longer in length than traditional laparoscopy
- The risks of any major surgical procedure still apply
Robotic-Assisted Procedures Offered
- Radical Prostatectomy
- Ventral Hernia Repair
- Inguinal Hernia Repair
Learn more about the da Vinci XI from Dr. David Spencer, Jr., of South Mississippi Urology.