Singing River Health System exists to improve the quality of life in our community by delivering quality healthcare and wellness services, including protecting your medical information. Singing River Health System is required by law to maintain the privacy of your medical information and to provide you with this Notice of our privacy practices with respect to your medical information.
The following organizations use health information about you for treatment, to obtain payment for treatment, for administrative purposes, and to evaluate the quality of care that you receive.
Classes of Organizations covered by this Joint Notice:
- Physicians, and their office staff, who are privileged to practice medicine at Singing River Health System
- Singing River Health System’s affiliated clinics and medical centers, such as East Central Medical Clinic
- Singing River Health System’s Wellness Services
- Healthplex Associates
This Joint Notice does not imply a closer business relationship between Singing River Health System and their Staff Physicians. The term “Joint” used in this notice applies to the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) only. This arrangement is specific only to this privacy notice and no other liability is expressed, implied or can be inferred from this Organized Health Care Arrangement. The majority of staff Physicians are not employees of Singing River Health System and will follow their own Notices of Privacy Practices.
Singing River Health System participates in the Mississippi Health Information Network. Through this exchange, your medical records will be accessible by other health care providers with whom you may have a treatment relationship. Each participating provider/entity is individually responsible for complying with the HIPAA privacy and security rules with regard to your health information.
How We May Use or Disclose Your Health Information
- Evaluate the performance of our staff
- Assess the quality of care and outcomes in your cases and similar cases
- Learn how to improve our facilities and services
- Determine how to continually improve the quality and effectiveness of the health care we provide
- For judicial and administrative proceedings pursuant to legal authority
- To report information related to victims of abuse, neglect or domestic violence
- To assist law enforcement officials in their law enforcement duties
The following uses and disclosures of your medical information will be made only with your written authorization: (1) most uses and disclosures of psychotherapy notes; (2) uses and disclosures of your medical information for marketing purposes; (3) disclosures that constitute a sale of your medical information; and (4) other uses and disclosure not described in this Notice of Privacy Practices, except as otherwise permitted or required by law. Once you present an authorization to us, you may revoke that authorization in writing at any time except to the extent that Singing River Health System has taken an action in reliance on the use of disclosure as indicated in the authorization. To request a revocation of authorization, you may contact:
Pascagoula, MS 39567
Ocean Springs, MS 39564
Your Health Information Rights
You have the right to:
- Request a restriction on certain uses and disclosures of your health information as provided by 45 CFR 164.522 such as “opting out” of our clergy directory. However, the organizations noted above are not required to agree to a requested restriction.
- Obtain a paper copy of the notice of privacy practices upon request
- Inspect and obtain a copy of your health record as provided for in 45 CFR 164.524; however, there will be a fee charged for copying your medical information. Please contact the Release of Information Office at (228) 809-5177 for the cost of copying your medical information.
- Amend your health record or health information as provided in 45 CFR 164.526. We may deny your request for certain specific reasons. If we deny your request, we will provide you with a written explanation for the denial and information regarding further rights you may have at that point. Please contact our Privacy Officer at 228-809-6262 if you wish to request an amendment of your medical record.
- Request communications of your health information by alternative means or at alternative locations
- Right to receive notification in the event of a breach of your medical information
- Revoke any authorization that you may have signed except to the extent that action has already been taken by Singing River Health System
- To receive an accounting of disclosures made of your health information as provided by 45 CFR 164.528.The right to receive this information is subject to certain exceptions, restrictions, and limitations. Please contact the Release of Information Office at 228-809-5177 if you wish to obtain an accounting of disclosures. The first request is provided free of charge, but other requests within a 12-month period, will be assessed a fee.
- Right to complain to us and/or to the United States Department of Health and Human Services if you believe that we have violated your privacy rights. If you choose to file a complaint, you will not be retaliated against in any way.
For complaints, please contact the Privacy Officer at 228-809-6262.
We are required by law to:
- Maintain the privacy of protected health information
- Provide you with a notice of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to your health information
- Abide by the terms of this notice
- Notify you if we are unable to agree with a requested restriction on how your health information is used or disclosed
- Accommodate reasonable requests you may make to communicate health information by alternatives means or at an alternative location
- Obtain your written authorization to use or disclose your health information for reasons other than those listed above and permitted under law
We reserve the right to change the terms of this Notice, making any revision applicable to all the protected health information we maintain. If you desire a revised Notice of Privacy Practices, please contact the Patient Access Department/Office at a Singing River Health System facility.
If you would like further information regarding your rights or regarding the uses and disclosures of your medical information, you may contact the Privacy Officer at 228-809-6262.