An estimated 373,000 adults in Mississippi have diabetes, but only 280,000 know they have the condition which can lead to heart disease, stroke and even cancer. The good news? You can beat diabetes. Our team of expert medical professionals work with our patients to help prevent and control diabetes with a comprehensive plan of attack that includes medicine and lifestyle changes such as diet and exercise.
Anyone aged 45 years or older should consider getting tested for diabetes, especially if you are overweight. If you are younger than 45 but are overweight and have one or more additional risk factors, you should consider getting tested.
Additional risk factors include:
- Being overweight or obese
- Having a parent, brother or sister with diabetes
- Being African American, American Indian, Asian American, Pacific Islander or Hispanic American/Latino heritage
- Having a prior history of gestational diabetes or birth of at least one baby weighing more than 9 pounds
- Having high blood pressure measuring 140/90 or higher
- Having abnormal cholesterol when HDL (good) cholesterol is 35 or lower, or triglyceride level is 250 or higher
- Being physically inactive – exercising fewer than three times a week